AIDAN BAKER w. CLAIRE BRENTNALL - Delirious Things
GZH72DP || January 2017 || CD/DL
GZH72DP || January 2017 || CD/DL
• CD || Limited edition of 175. Housed in a double-panel, hand-screen-printed card sleeve with two card inserts. Recycled card used throughout and placed in an eco-friendly outer plastic bag. Each item is individually printed, cut, assembled, numbered and packaged by SmilingPaperGhosts at Gizeh HQ. Includes an instant download of the full album.
• DIGITAL || Visit our Bandcamp page to purchase digital items in Lossless/MP3 format.
• LP || We are distributing the vinyl edition exclusively in Europe - released by Pleasance Records. US/CA customers please visit the Pleasance website.
Delirious Things is an exploration of Aidan Baker's interest in 80s-influenced cold-wave, shoegaze, and synth-pop from such recording artists as Factory Records' Durutti Column, Joy Division, and Section 25 and 4AD's Cocteau Twins and This Mortal Coil. Combining song-oriented tracks with abstract interludes, the primary instrument on Delirious Things is a 1980s Casio synthesizer, rather than Baker's usual guitar, though the synth is processed through his usual guitar effect pedals, creating heavy, layered washes of droning synth sounds overlaying electronic rhythms and pulsing bass lines. Baker is joined by guest vocalist Claire Brentnall (Shield Patterns) whose voice is reminiscent of Liz Fraser and Kate Bush but still distinctly her own.
"Brentnall combines the ethereal with a more engaging, emotive delivery; phrases drift into distant fogs, punctuated beautifully by the regular cold snap of Baker's dry percussive beats and processed electronics...[T]he textures he generates throughout the album are arctic and precise; processed guitars hover high above, while the sound of his synthesizer is never so cold as to feel sterile or removed from the mix."
"delivers the sound of half-forgotten dreams, as Aidan Baker and Claire Brentnall explore experimental aural landscapes with soul."
"Delirious Things is completely different to what we expect from Aidan Baker. Just listen to the dreamy Wingless where Brentnall uses her voice in an impressive way to reach almost a pop song. Always Leavings sounds initially more familiar until Brentnall begins to interfere, she pulls the music completely open and gives a value to each number with her astounding voice. A delightful piece of art."
"a gorgeous album demonstrating Baker’s compositional expertise and Brentnall’s ability to evoke deep, emotional moments with her captivating voice."
"The title track pins you early on in fuzzy cushions and muted percussion, this elastic line of rhythm stitching the goods as vaporous panthers prowl the collaterals. Claire Brentnall‘s vocals make a brilliant foil to Aidan Baker‘s shoegazery sensibilities and pedal prowess.They add a certain haunted opulence to the proceedings, hurling things nicely in and out of focus in water-coloured splashes of narrative."
"As if a siren, her voice rises from the misty, sometimes sturdy Baker sound waves. Think about an obscure cocktail of said bands and The Sight Below, Slowdive and Jesu. A magical tale."
1. Delirious Things
2. Interlude I (Shivers)
3. Dead Languages
4. Interlude II (Tongues)
6. Interlude III (Wax)
7. Always Leaving
• Aidan Baker: music/lyrics
• Claire Brentnall: vocals
• Recorded 2016 at Broken Spine Studios, Berlin, Germany
& Cloud Blunt Moon, Glossop, UK.
• Mastered by Brandon Hocura at Polyphasic Studios
• LP artwork by Leah Buckareff
• CD artwork and packaging by SmilingPaperGhosts